Translate Widget

English French German Spain Italian Dutch

Russian Portuguese Japanese Korean Arabic Chinese Simplified


this widget by www.bloggerarticle.com

Search This Blog

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Cajun Pot Pie

 In an effort to be creative and make new and interesting foods, I came up with the creation of a Cajun style potpie. I first started out with Louisiana style smoked andouille sausage and rendered some of the fat in a frying pan. While the sausage was rendering in the pan, I started to dice up some onions and yellow and red peppers. Once the sausage was done, I started to sauté the onions and peppers, and used a packet of  Uncle Ben's wild rice. When the rice was done, I incorporated the rice and onions and peppers and added an 8 ounce can of Campbell's chicken and mushroom cream. I also added 2 tablespoons of Philadelphia cream cheese Santa Fe flavored cream. Once the mixture started to thicken up I then added 1 pound of shrimp and 1 pound of crawfish tails and a can of mix veggies. The mixture was seasoned with Old Bay seasoning, a pinch of salt and 2 teaspoons of black pepper. I heated the mixture over a low simmer, until it was warm and then removed it from the heat, to cool it off.
 I filled up two 9 inch deep pie crusts, with the filling. Using a pastry brush, I brushed the edges, with an egg wash mixture. I then covered the pie crust with pastry dough and crimp the edges with a fork, cutting off the excess dough. Meanwhile the oven was preheated to 425°.  Once the pies were crimped, I made four vent holes on the top of each pie using a knife, and brushed the top of the pies with the remainder of the egg wash.

The pies bake for approximately 18 to 20 min. or until the crust was golden brown. The pies were cooled for approximately 10 min., before being served. The pies tasted good, but next time, they could use a few more teaspoons of Old Bay seasoning. This recipe is very easy and simple, yet very wholesome and comforting. Thanks for checking out my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment